BRISBANE SCHOOL BRONZE MEADALLION COURSE
BECOME A SURF LIFESAVER!
School Bronze Medallion Course
PUA 21012 – Certificate II in Public Safety
4 Points towards QLD Certificate of Education
Wednesday 3rd August 2016
Thursday 4th August 2016
Time: 4.00 pm to 7.00 pm
Where: Marist Brothers College Pool
Noosa Beach Sessions (must attend at least 3 sessions):
10th, 11th, 12th & 13th August 2016
Time: 9.00 am to 1.00 pm
Where: Noosa Heads Surf Life Saving Club
0402 489 731
Nationally Recognised Training
Noosa Heads Surf Life Saving Club under License to Australia Lifesaving Academy Australia
This qualification prepares students to work in a team in a public safety organisation, to understand OH&S policies and procedures, to be surf aware, to be able to provide emergency care and rescues in aquatic situations and to use communication equipment.
A range of teaching and learning strategies will be used to deliver the competencies including demonstration, presentation and application of all elements of competency in the workplace. Assessments must be completed in a similar environment to where patrol activities will be undertaken. Activities include swimming, running, tube rescues, board paddling, board rescues, spinal rescues, beach CPR, signalling, radio operations, reading the water to select a suitable area to set up the flags, first aid.
The course is approximately 80% practical, 20% theory and will comprise both wet (beach) and dry (practical and theory) components. It takes 6 weeks and is concluded with an assessment.
Candidates must meet ALL of the following conditions:
- Be at least 15 years of age on the date of final assessment
- Complete an unaided swim (goggles/masks permitted) of 400 metres in nine (9) minutes or less, in a swimming pool of not less than 25 metres, or over a measured open water course which will be observed prior to the candidate undertaking any water training or assessment activities, evidence of which must be provided to the Assessor on the appropriate form prior to commencement of the assessment for this qualification.
During the course you will cover the following units of competency:
- PUAOHS001C – Follow Defined Occupational Health and Safety Policies and Procedures
- PUASAR012C – Surf Awareness and Self Rescue Skills
- HLTFA201A – Provide Basic Emergency Life Support
- PUATEA001B – Work in a Team
- PUACOM001C – Communicate in the Workplace
- PUAOPE013A – Operate Communication Systems and Equipment
- PUASAR013A – Participate in an Aquatic Rescue Operation
- PUATEA004D – Work Effectively in a Public Safety Organization
Assessment is competency based and therefore no levels of achievement are awarded just competent or not yet competent.
Assessment for this qualification is continuous and units of competency have been clustered into groups and assessed this way.
Assessment included completing activities that may include role-plays, oral and written questioning, practical demonstrations and performing scenarios.
Cost of the course $150 includes
- Club membership Active Junior 15-18 years
- Course Fee
- Patrol Uniform
- Training Manual
Upon gaining your award you will also have free access to Club swim nights, board training sessions, gym membership and if interested, can join our surf sport team. Membership to our Supporters Club is also included in your Surf Club Membership.
Other courses available (but not limited) to our Active Members include Apply First Aid, Advanced Resuscitation Techniques, IRB Crew, IRB Driver, Wave Runner Operator (Jet Ski) and Helicopter Crew.
Payment can be completed on your Member Portal account. The cost includes all fees and charges for this course.
The Next Step:
Membership can now be completed online via the SLSA Members Portal – click here
Not a member of a Surf Club or used to belong to a club more than two years ago? – click here
Unique Student Identifier (USI)
Participants will need to obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI) if you don’t already have one, this can be done here:
Please complete the following documents on your Member Portal account along with payment to confirm your position and then email us to advise that you have completed the documents.
We look forward to welcoming you at the Club.
Greg McLaughlin | firstname.lastname@example.org | 0402 489 731
Lifesaving Administration | email@example.com | 07 5448 0900